Do you like to be creative in what you wear and the space around you? The 4-H Fashion and Interior Design program is perfect for you. In this project you can learn to design, construct and be a smart consumer when purchasing clothing and household items. Have fun creating environmentally friendly projects while exploring careers in the fashion and interior design industries. You can work on your own or with a group.
Design your project around the parts of fashion and interior design that you enjoy, such as:
- applying elements and principles of design
- learn to operate a sewing machine
- fabric science labs
- fashion and interior design sketching
- consumer buying skills
- creating a storyboard for your designs
- creating one of a kind items for home decorating
- upcycling items for a new purpose
- Download – Project Information Sheet
- Weblink – JOANN Mini-grant Application and Information
- Download – Explore Guide: Duds To Dazzle
- Download – Explore Guide: Sewing Basics
- Download – Explore Guide: Housing and Home Environment – Interior Design
- Download – Clothes that Click Lesson – Curriculum Zip File
- Download – Clothing Capers – Curriculum Zip File
- Download – Clothing Quality Standards
- Download – Housing Design and Improvement Curriculum
- Download – Iowa Color Wheel
- Weblink – FCH Contest Learning Series: Fashion Storyboards
- Weblink – Burn Baby Burn! Gorgeous Fabrics University
- Weblink – National 4-H Curriculum
- Weblink – Design Decisions Curriculum
Make it with Wool
- Event Site: Texas Fleece & Fiber Festival, Hill County Youth Event, 3785 Highway 27, Kerrville, TX 78028-7100
Entry Deadline: October 15, 2023
Event Date: October 28, 2023
Divisions Offered: Pre-Teen-Junior-Senior-Adult-Made for Others-Wearable Accessory (Pre-teen only)
Contests and Activities
Rules, guidelines and paperwork are designed for senior level contests. Check your district 4-H website for junior and intermediate rules, guides and paperwork.
Duds to Dazzle
Duds to Dazzle Contest – During Duds to Dazzle, teams of 3 to 4 receive textiles and each team has 60 minutes to create a new product using items from the supply closet. Each team provides their own supply kit (Supply kit list found in Duds to Dazzle guide). The teams then present their item to a team of judges. You may also be tested on what you have learned about how the fashion and interior design industry impacts the environment, specifically the waste stream.
- Duds to Dazzle Guide
- Duds to Dazzle: Scorecard | Rules of play | Supply Kit | Worksheet | Interview Questions
- Orientation: Judges | Participant | Group Leader
- Duds To Dazzle Committee
Duds to Dazzle Solo Showcase Invitational – The 4-H Duds to Dazzle Solo Showcase Invitational is designed to provide youth the opportunity to participate in an individual Duds to Dazzle contest. Participants will utilize the knowledge and skills gained through participation in the 4-H Fashion and Interior Design project. Please refer to the Texas 4-H Roundup Guide for more details on contest date and location, as well as registration requirements.
Duds to Dazzle Contest Resources:
- Explore Guide: Duds To Dazzle
- Duds to Dazzle Youtube Instructional Video Playlist
- Hand Stitching (15.105). SEW-lutions Guidelines, Your Guide to Successful Sewing
- How Does Fast Fashion Affect the Environment
- Laundry on Your Own
- Pricing Tips and Tricks
- Safety Guide
- Simple Seaming Techniques (11.110). SEW-lutions Guidelines, Your Guide to Successful Sewing
- Unraveling the Mystery of Design Elements and Principles in Clothing
Family & Community Health (FCH) Quiz Bowl
A “Quiz Bowl” is a quiz game that tests teams of 4 on their knowledge of basic nutrition, consumer information, food and kitchen safety, food preparation skills and storage, health and fashion and interior design skills. Up against the clock, the 4-Hers buzz in to answer a question and earn points for correct answers. Teams advance in a tournament-system bracket to win the competition.
- Texas 4-H Quiz Bowl Resources
- Family Community Health Quiz Bowl Resources
- Family Community Health Project Pages
The Fashion Show is designed for 4-H members to showcase their skills in buying and construction. You will create a clothing or fashion item, turn in paperwork explaining your item, complete an interview with a panel of judges, and last but not least, model the outfit on the runway.
- Construction: General Rules/Guidelines | Entry Form | Score Sheet | Interview Questions
- Buying: General Rules/Guidelines | Entry Form | Score Sheet | Interview Questions
Natural Fiber Contest
The Natural Fiber contest is part of the Fashion Show. Members choose to buy or construct an outfit made from either cotton or wool/mohair/alpaca. You will exhibit what you’ve learned about cotton and wool/mohair. Specific fiber contents are found in the contest guidelines.
Family and Consumer Educational Presentation
An educational presentation is a fun way to share your 4-H project. You can give an educational presentation by yourself or with a friend. The 4-H Roundup Educational Presentation senior level competition takes place at 4-H roundup each year. Competitors must qualify through their district in order to compete. Visit the State Roundup webpage to learn more.
The 4-H Storyboard is an industry-inspired method of displaying original designs. The storyboard “tells the story” of the designer’s idea. The storyboard includes original illustrations, flats, and more to promote the design. Now an Invitational contest for Senior members!
- General Rules/Guidelines | Label | Score Sheet
- 2023 Uploading Instructions
- Wakelet Collection
- Results – 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2023 Digital Storyboards
Contact Angela McCorkle: email@example.com or 979-321-5014
Fashion and Interior Design Ambassador Program
The Texas 4-H Fashion and Interior Design Ambassador Program strives to provide high school aged 4-H members the opportunity to develop and practice advanced leadership skills to mentor other youth, and to become knowledgeable representatives for the Fashion & Interior Design project.
Next application opportunity will be March 1-March 31, 2024
4-H Quilt of Valor
- Quilt Challenge Guidelines
- Quilt Challenge Block Instructions
- Quilt Challenge Report Form
- Quilt of Valor Sew Day Kick Off Flyer
- Quilt of Valor Press Release Template
- Quilt of Valor Social Media Template