Do you like to be creative in what you wear and the space around you? The 4-H Fashion and Interior Design program is perfect for you. In this project you can learn to design, construct and be a smart consumer when purchasing clothing and household items. Have fun creating environmentally friendly projects while exploring careers in the fashion and interior design industries. You can work on your own or with a group.
Design your project around the parts of the fashion and interior design that you enjoy, such as:
- applying elements and principles of design
- learn to operate a sewing machine
- fabric science labs
- fashion and interior design sketching
- consumer buying skills
- creating a storyboard for your designs
- creating one of a kind items for home decorating
- upcycling items for a new purpose
- JOANN Mini-grant Guidelines | Winners
- Project Information Sheet
- Duds To Dazzle Explore Guide
- Sewing Basics Explore Guide
- Interior Design Explore Guide
- Clothes that Click Lesson
- Clothing Capers
- Burn Baby Burn! Gorgeous Fabrics University
- National 4-H Curriculum
- Clothing Quality Standards
- Design Decisions Curriculum
- Housing Design and Improvement Curriculum
- Iowa Color Wheel
- Style Engineers
Rules, guidelines and paperwork are designed for senior level contests.
Check your district 4-H website for junior and intermediate rules, guides and paperwork.
Duds to Dazzle – During Duds to Dazzle, teams of 3 to 5 receive textiles and each team has 60 minutes to create a new product using item from the supply closet. Each team provides their own supply kit (Supply kit list found in Duds to Dazzle guide). The teams then present their item to a team of judges. You may also be tested on what you have learned about how the clothing & textile industry impacts the environment, specifically the waste stream.
- Guides: 2021
- Duds to Dazzle: Scorecard | Supply Kit | Interview Questions
- Orientations: Group Leader | Participant | Judge
Fashion Show – The Fashion Show is designed for 4-H members to showcase their skills in buying and construction. You will create a clothing or fashion item, turn in paperwork explaining your item, complete an interview with a panel of judges, and last but not least, model the outfit on the runway.
- Construction: 2021 General Rules/Guidelines | Entry Form/Fillable | Score sheet | Interview Questions
- Buying: 2021 General Rules/Guidelines | Entry Form/Fillable | Score Sheet | Interview Questions
Natural Fiber Contest – The Natural Fiber contest is part of the Fashion Show. Members choose to buy or construct an outfit made from either cotton or wool/mohair/alpaca. You will exhibit what you’ve learn about cotton and wool/mohair. Specific fiber contents are found in the contest guidelines.
Open Family and Community Health Educational Presentation – A 4-H Roundup educational presentation is a fun way to share your 4-H Fashion and Interior Design project. Educational presentation can be by yourself or with a friend. The 4-H Roundup Educational Presentation senior level competition takes place at 4-H roundup each year. Competitors must qualify through their district in order to compete. Learn more about educational presentations by reading the What is an Educational Presentation document.
Storyboard – The 4-H Storyboard is an industry-inspired method of displaying original designs. The storyboard “tells the story” of the designer’s idea. The storyboard includes original illustrations, flats, and more to promote the design. Now an Invitational contest for Senior members!
- 2021 General Rules/Guidelines | Label | Score Sheet | Rules & Uploading Instructions
- Wakelet Collection
- 2020 Results
Contact Angela McCorkle: firstname.lastname@example.org or 979-845-1150
Contest Educational Resources
Duds to Dazzle
- Duds To Dazzle Explore Guide
- Duds to Dazzle Youtube Instructional Video Playlist
- Hand Stitching (15.105). SEW-lutions Guidelines, Your Guide to Successful Sewing
- Laundry on Your Own (L-5200)
- Pricing Tips and Tricks
- Safety Guide
- Simple Seaming Techniques (11.110). SEW-lutions Guidelines, Your Guide to Successful Sewing
- Unraveling the Mystery of Design Elements and Principles in Clothing
- Designer’s Nexus
- Exploring The Elements and Principles of Design
- Fashion Era
- Principles and Elements of Design
- Unraveling The Mystery of Design Elements & Principles
Fashion and Interior Design Ambassador Program
The Texas 4-H Fashion and Interior Design Ambassador Program strives to provide high school aged 4-H members the opportunity to develop and practice advanced leadership skills to mentor other youth, and to become knowledgeable representatives for the Fashion & Interior Design project.