If you enjoy the outdoors and hunting, you’ll love the shooting sports project! This project covers firearm safety and teaches responsible handling and use. Get ready because this project is hands on. You’ll learn about a variety of firearms – including pistols, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading, and even archery!
Some groups focus on competitive events, and others practice basic shooting programs. Contact your local club to see what’s available in your area.
In the shooting sports project, you’ll learn:
- how to load and shoot a variety of firearms
- proper maintenance of your firearms, parts, and accessories
- proper safety procedures in handling and shooting
- about shooting sports competitions and how to participate
- hunting procedures
- laws and ethics related to shooting, hunting, and firearms use
- about careers related to firearms and shooting sports!
Due to the nature of this sport, there are quite a few rules that are detailed and important to follow. But remember, fun and safety are the primary goals. These rules should be applied to any activity and event within 4-H Shooting Sports project; these rules supercede those posted in governing bodies such as NRA, USA Archery, NSCA, etc.
The rules for each discipline are as follows:
- General shooting sports rules
- Hunting and Wildlife
- Muzzleloading/black powder
- Whiz-bang event
Other things you should know about this project:
- Use of reloaded ammunition
- Certified 4-H shooting sports coaches
- Mandatory forms for the 4-H pistol project
National Championships and Texas Team
Shooting Sports Ambassadors
4-H Shotgun Day Camp