If you enjoy the outdoors and hunting, you’ll love the shooting sports project! This project covers firearm safety and teaches responsible handling and use. Get ready because this project is hands on. You’ll learn about a variety of firearms – including pistols, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading, and even archery! Some groups focus on competitive events, and others practice basic shooting programs. Contact your local club to see what’s available in your area.
In the shooting sports project, you’ll learn how to load and shoot a variety of firearms, proper maintenance of your firearms, parts, and accessories,proper safety procedures in handling and shooting, about shooting sports competitions and how to participate, hunting procedures,laws and ethics related to shooting, hunting, and firearms use and about careers related to firearms and shooting sports!
Due to the nature of this sport, there are quite a few rules that are detailed and important to follow. But remember, fun and safety are the primary goals. These rules should be applied to any activity and event within 4-H Shooting Sports project; these rules supercede those posted in governing bodies such as NRA, USA Archery, NSCA, etc.
The rules for each discipline are as follows:
- General shooting sports rules – Updated October 7, 2021
- Hunting and Wildlife
- Muzzleloading/black powder
- Whiz-bang event
Other things you should know about this project:
- Use of reloaded ammunition
- Certified 4-H shooting sports coaches
- Mandatory forms for the 4-H pistol project
National Championships and Texas Team
- Texas Teams: 2022
- 2021-2022 Team Application Information
- 2020 Rubric
- Texas Teams: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021
Shooting Sports Ambassadors
- 2021-2022 Ambassador Program Basic Requirements and Expectations
- 2019-2020 Shooting Sports Ambassadors
Statewide contests include:
“Postal League” got its name because participants mailed their targets in for scoring via the U.S. Postal Service. It’s a state-wide shooting match where you compete on your own schedule. Keep record of your shots from November to March, and submit your scores online to the state 4-H office.
- Postal League Rules and Registration Information
- Archery Score Card
- Results: 2020-2021 | 2019-2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2015-16
If you’re new to shooting sports, this is the place to start! The Shooting Sports Extravaganza is a beginner’s match and learning event. Beginner shooters will learn the process of shooting competitively, basic knowledge of firearm and range safety, and about the shooting sports events.
Ages: open to grades 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12.
- 2021 Extravaganza Handbook and Registration Details
- Extravaganza Results – 2021 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016
- Results: 2017 Air Pistol
Indoor Archery Match Information
The indoor archery match is held each year in 4 locations. Competitors will choose to compete at only one location, and scores will be ranked by all competitors at both locations. There is a “first year” class for competitors that are new to archery and new to the indoor archery match.
- 2021 Indoor Archery Match Information
- 2021 FINAL Results – Senior | Intermediate | Junior
Questions can be directed to email@example.com
- 2017 Indoor Archery Match Results – First Year shooters | Indoor Archery Match Results
- 2018 Indoor Archery Match Results – First Year shooters | Indoor Archery Match Results
- 2019 Indoor Archery Match Results – First Year shooters | Indoor Archery Match Results
Roundup Archery Match
Roundup Archery Match is held at Texas State 4-H Roundup.
Roundup Indoor Rifle Match
Held at Texas State 4-H Roundup each year, competitors must qualify through their district in order to compete at this event.
- 2021 Roundup Rifle Rules
- Participant Information
- Roundup Rifle Schedule
- Form Downloads: Waiver | COVID-19 Screening
- Results: 2021 Team | Individual
- Results: 2019 Team | Individual
- Results: 2018 Team | Individual
- Results: 2017 Team | Individual
Shooting Sports State Games are open to all 4-H members – you do not have to qualify to compete. But you must be actively involved in a shooting sports project at your local club with a coach. Fees are involved.