Mixed breed or purebred, all kinds of dogs are welcome in the 4-H Dog Care and Training Project. You can have a better, well-mannered family member in about 6 weeks with our basic obedience training class. After obedience training, you can set your sights on Canine Good Citizenship Certification.
You will also learn about daily care and health of your dog, and being a “dog foster parent.” Even community service and competition you can do with your dog. Most important of all is having fun as you build a bond with your dog and make friends who love dogs too!
Teach your dog new tricks! Bring your dog and complete a basic obedience course in about 6 weeks. Have fun and build confidence as your dog improves.
You can do all sorts of activities, like:
- Foster dogs, therapy or guide dogs,
- Competitions such as rally, agility, obedience, showmanship or conformation
- career exploration
- canine good citizenship testing
Open Educational Presentation
A 4-H educational presentation is a demonstration of your knowledge and skills in a certain project area. This presentation is done in a way that is most comfortable to you. It can be accomplished using props, posters or media presentations (illustrated talk), or it can be you just speaking and convincing, or simply educating, with words alone (public speaking). The Educational Presentation Contest is a part of county, district and state Roundup. Visit the State Roundup webpage to learn more.
Texas 4-H Dog Show
The state 4-H dog show is held each year in July, and offers classes in agility, rally, obedience, costume, tricks, drill, showmanship and conformation. Some counties host 4-H Dog Shows. These contests will be publicized on this page and through e-mail as information becomes available. At the annual State 4-H Dog Show, you can enter photos you have taken of your dog in the Dog Photography Contest. Photos are entered in four categories: dog still life, active, storyboard, and theme.
Future Dates: 2023 July 6-8, 2023 in Huntsville, Texas
- Download – 2023 T-shirt Contest
- Download – 2023 Dog Show Rules
- Download – Hotels
- Download | Video – Dog Validation Instructions
- Download – 2022 Dog Show Judge Recruitment Packet
- Download – AKC Canine Partner/Purebred Alternate Listing Application
- Web link – Parent/Volunteer Leader Meeting Agenda Item submissions
- Download – Event Progression Rules – Quick Reference
- Download – Dog General Anatomy
- Download – Dog General Anatomy Key
- Download – Trivia Questions
- Download – Trivia Questions/Answers
- Download – Drill: Commands
- Download – Drill: Freestyle
- Download – Drill: Traditional
- Download – Obedience: 4-H Graduate Novice
- Download – Obedience: AKC Graduate Novice
- Download – Obedience: Beginner Novice
- Download – Obedience: Group Exercises – 2023 UPDATE COMING SOON
- Download – Obedience: Novice
- Download – Obedience: Open
- Download – Obedience: Utility – 2023 UPDATE COMING SOON
- Download – Other: Costume Contest
- Download – Other: Rally
- Download – Other: Tricks
- Results: 2022 | 2021 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017
Visit with your county extension office to find out about local opportunities in your area.