Mixed breed or purebred, all kinds of dogs are welcome in the 4-H Dog Care and Training Project. You can have a better, well-mannered family member in about 6 weeks with our basic obedience training class. After obedience training, you can set your sights on Canine Good Citizenship Certification.
You will also learn about daily care and health of your dog, and being a “dog foster parent.” Even community service and competition you can do with your dog. Most important of all is having fun as you build a bond with your dog and make friends who love dogs too!
Teach your dog new tricks! Bring your dog and complete a basic obedience course in about 6 weeks. Have fun and build confidence as your dog improves.
You can do all sorts of activities, like:
- Foster dogs, therapy or guide dogs,
- Competitions such as rally, agility, obedience, showmanship or conformation
- career exploration
- canine good citizenship testing
Open Educational Presentation
A 4-H educational presentation is a demonstration of your knowledge and skills in a certain project area. This presentation is done in a way that is most comfortable to you. It can be accomplished using props, posters or media presentations (illustrated talk), or it can be you just speaking and convincing, or simply educating, with words alone (public speaking). The Educational Presentation Contest is a part of county, district and state Roundup. Visit the State Roundup webpage to learn more.
Texas 4-H Dog Show
The state 4-H dog show is held each year in July, and offers classes in agility, rally, obedience, costume, tricks, drill, showmanship and conformation. Some counties host 4-H Dog Shows. These contests will be publicized on this page and through e-mail as information becomes available. At the annual State 4-H Dog Show, you can enter photos you have taken of your dog in the Dog Photography Contest. Photos are entered in four categories: dog still life, active, storyboard, and theme.
It is with great disappointment that we have to announce that the State 4-H Dog Show has been canceled. Due to a variety of reasons, all with connections to COVID-19, this was the best decision for your health and safety and the Texas 4-H program.
It does allow us to expand the Photography Contest and further extend the deadline for this opportunity waiving the entry fees. Grab your camera and start snapping photos. In addition to Still Life, Active, Storyboard and Theme – Promote 4-H Dog Project there will also be a “Funny Dog” category of your dogs doing silly things, dressed up funny or any other dog photo that would bring a smile or laugh to the viewer. “Fur Family” category will also be added for you to practice your portrait taking skills, family photos, or people and dogs. Deadline will be mid-June and more details about how to enter will be coming shortly. Our Shirt Design Contest winner will be used for the 2021 Texas 4-H Dog Show.
- Dog Show – Parent/Volunteer Leader Meeting Agenda Item submissions
- 2020 Dog Show Rules
- Event Progression Rules – Quick Reference
- 2020 Validation Instructions
- 2020 Letters: Members with Validated Dogs | State Dog Show Opportunities
- 2020 Judge Recruitment
- 2020 T-shirt Contest
- Dog General Anatomy | Key
- Trivia Questions | Answers
- Drill: Commands
- Obedience: 4-H Graduate Novice | AKC Graduate Novice | Group Exercises | Novice | Open |
Pre-Novice | Utility
- Other: Costume Contest | Rally | Tricks
- State 4-H Dog Show Results: 2019 | 2018 | 2017
- Brazos County Dog Show – February 15, 2020, Deadline February 3, 2020
- Montgomery County 4-H Dog Show – January 31-February 1, 2020, Deadline January 18, 2020
- Wise County 4-H Dog Show – Save the date June 20, 2020
Visit with your county extension office to find out about local opportunities in your area.