Want to do a 4-H Animal Project but think you don’t have enough space to raise an animal? The rabbit project is a great way to get involved no matter where you live. You’ll learn about the basics of how to care for a rabbit, including proper nutrition, and you can even show your rabbits.
You will experience the full process of selecting, feeding, breeding, and marketing rabbits. You will also learn public speaking, leadership, and community service through caring for rabbits.
There are three project options:
- Market Rabbit Project- In this project you will learn how to breed and raise rabbits for meat
- Rabbit Breeding Project- This project will involve breeding and raising rabbits for desired or unique characteristics
- Pet Project- Maintain rabbits as pets in this project
All information about the three project options can be found in the Rabbit Project Reference Manuel.
- Youth Livestock & Agriculture Project Resource Page
- Rabbit Explore Book
- Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Overview and Recommended Validation/Show Practices
County Market Shows
This is a great way to get involved at the local level. Contact your local county office for more information and to see if your county has a market rabbit show.
Texas 4-H Rabbit Extravaganza
The Extravaganza is a State-wide competition open to enrolled Texas 4-H members of official 4-H age. The Extravaganza will include: a single Youth Rabbit Show, Youth Skill Contests, Art & Crafts, and Educational Workshops on the 4-H Rabbit Project.
Texas 4-H Rabbit Advisory Board
The Texas 4-H Rabbit Advisory Committee offers 4-H members, volunteer leaders, and County Extension Agents an opportunity to help determine and expand the 4-H rabbit program by recommending and implementing special activities and new project ideas. The Texas 4-H Rabbit Advisory Committee provides the leadership and coordination of the program as a whole.