Want to do a 4-H Animal Project but think you don’t have enough space to raise an animal? The rabbit project is a great way to get involved no matter where you live. You’ll learn about the basics of how to care for a rabbit, including proper nutrition, and you can even show your rabbits.
You will experience the full process of selecting, feeding, breeding, and marketing rabbits. You will also learn public speaking, leadership, and community service through caring for rabbits.
There are three project options:
- Market Rabbit Project- In this project you will learn how to breed and raise rabbits for meat
- Rabbit Breeding Project- This project will involve breeding and raising rabbits for desired or unique characteristics
- Pet Project- Maintain rabbits as pets in this project
All information about the three project options can be found in the Rabbit Project Reference Manuel.
- Youth Livestock & Agriculture Project Resource Page
- Rabbit Explore Book
- Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Overview and Recommended Validation/Show Practices
County Market Shows
This is a great way to get involved at the local level. Contact your local county office for more information and to see if your county has a market rabbit show.
Texas 4-H Rabbit Extravaganza
Due to COVID-19 restrictions and Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease, we made the tough decision to cancel the 2020 Texas 4-H Rabbit Extravaganza that is normally held this month. However, we still wanted to be able to provide an educational opportunity to all of the project members during this time.
Therefore, on behalf of the Texas 4-H Rabbit Advisory Board, I am happy to announce our 2020 Texas 4-H Rabbit Project – Virtual Educational Series! We will be offering four different workshops starting on Thursday, September 24, 2020. We will alternate weeks with the next three workshops being scheduled for October 8th, October 22nd, and November 5th. These are all going to be held on a Thursday evening at 6:00pm via ZOOM.
All interested participants, will need to register on 4-H Online in order to receive the meeting links prior to each workshop. There will be no fee attached to this event, we are just needing everyone to register online in order to participate.
- 2020 Texas 4-H Rabbit Project – Virtual Workshop #1 – RHDV2 and Biosecurity
- 2020 Texas 4-H Rabbit Project – Workshop #2 – Breed Selection & How to Purchase Show Quality Animals
- 2020 Texas 4-H Rabbit Workshop #3 Recording – Feed & Nutrition and Preparing Your Rabbit(s) for Show
- 2020 Texas 4-H Rabbit Project – Virtual Educational Workshop #4 – Disease ID and Record Keeping
Texas 4-H Rabbit Advisory Board
The Texas 4-H Rabbit Advisory Committee offers 4-H members, volunteer leaders, and County Extension Agents an opportunity to help determine and expand the 4-H rabbit program by recommending and implementing special activities and new project ideas. The Texas 4-H Rabbit Advisory Committee provides the leadership and coordination of the program as a whole.