Some groups focus on competitive events, and others practice basic shooting programs. Contact your local club to see what’s available in your area.
In the shooting sports project, you’ll learn:
- how to load and shoot a variety of firearms
- proper maintenance of your firearms, parts, and accessories
- proper safety procedures in handling and shooting
- about shooting sports competitions and how to participate
- hunting procedures
- laws and ethics related to shooting, hunting, and firearms use
- about careers related to firearms and shooting sports!
Due to the nature of this sport, there are quite a few rules that are detailed and important to follow. But remember, fun and safety are the primary goals. These rules should be applied to any activity and event within 4-H Shooting Sports project; these rules supercede those posted in governing bodies such as NRA, USA Archery, NSCA, etc.
The rules for each discipline are as follows:
- General shooting sports rules
- Hunting and Wildlife
- Muzzleloading/black powder
- Whiz-bang event
Other things you should know about this project:
- Use of reloaded ammunition
- Certified 4-H shooting sports coaches
- Mandatory forms for the 4-H pistol project