Types of scholarships
Texas 4-H awards 225 scholarships for students – all you need is 4-H experience, financial need, and your academic record. The scholarship awards range from $1,000-$20,000.
There is a scholarship category for most everyone, including:
- Baccalaureate Scholarship: For students interested in a four-year degree.
- Technical Certification: For students interested in joining the workforce soon after finishing high school. Some 4-H approved examples are vocational nursing, veterinary technology, and electrical design technology. More 4-H approved vocational programs are listed on page 5 of the Opportunity Scholarship Application and Guideline page.
- Courageous Heart: For students who continued school and 4-H during hardship.
- Collegiate Scholarships: For former 4-H students currently attending a college or university.
You will need at least 30 hours of college credit and a GPA of 2.7 to apply.
For the first three scholarship types, you will follow the same application instructions and process. When you submit your application, 4-H will determine all of the scholarships that you are eligible for. The collegiate scholarship has its own application. See below.
How to get started:
- Review the application and submission guidelines for baccalaureate, technical, and courageous heart. The guidelines will list the requirements for each scholarship type, such as GPA and SAT scores.
- Review samples of example applications.
- Choose the type of scholarship you want to apply for – baccalaureate, technical, or courageous heart. You will note your scholarship type at the top of your application.
- Complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application and submit the student aid report with your 4-H scholarship application. We have prepared a
- Download and complete an application.
- Submit your completed application and FAFSA student aid report to our local county office.
Collegiate 4-H Scholarship
The Texas 4-H Youth Development Foundation provides a limited number of collegiate scholarships to students who are currently enrolled in a Texas college or university. These scholarships are awarded to deserving former 4-H members who have continued to excel in both academics and service at the collegiate level. Scholarships typically range in $1,500 to $1,800 and are sponsored by various donors throughout Texas. Some donors do require certain criteria to be met, in order to be awarded one of their scholarships. Review the scholarship application for complete details on requirements and how to apply.
Other Scholarship Opportunities for 4-H Members
Stock Show Scholarships
When you apply for a 4-H scholarship, you are automatically entered into the application process for stock shows in Texas. Stock show scholarships are based on your placing in the overall scholarship program.
The exception is Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. You will be considered for the main Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo scholarship in your general 4-H scholarship application, but Houston has other scholarships you can apply for separately. You can only receive one scholarship from Houston so we recommend that you apply for the main 4-H scholarship as well as any others you qualify for with Houston, such as the exhibitor scholarship. See a list of all scholarships available from Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
The Texas Extension Education Association Scholarship:
This scholarship is for high school seniors who have been involved in 4-H for four years, have shown leadership and personal development, plan to get a college or vocational degree, and have not passed their 19th birthday by January 1 of the current application year. Applications are submitted to your county AgriLife Extension office.