The Texas 4-H and Youth Development Program is pleased to announce the Texas 4-H Golf Challenge. The Texas 4-H Golf Challenge was developed by county Extension agents, 4-H Specialists, and others to provide youth the opportunity to compete in an outdoor sporting event. While competing, youth also have the opportunity to gain invaluable knowledge in the areas of sports nutrition, golf course and turf grass management, and the rules and etiquette of golf. The Texas 4-H Golf Challenge was developed after a number of important statistics were identified.
- Twenty-three UIL sanctioned events give more than one million student-athletes the opportunity to compete.
- 16.3% of youth ages 2-19 are obese (2003-2006, CDC).
- The United States is losing two acres of mostly prime farmland every minute to development (2002, American Farmland Trust).
Why are all three of these statistics important? Youth love to compete in athletic events, Texas and the U.S. is experiencing a serious obesity problem in youth, and people must become more aware of how urban sprawl is affecting the land around us and the opportunities that are present as a result of this sprawl. Incorporating an event like the Texas 4-H Golf Challenge will give youth the opportunity to compete in an athletic event while understanding, sports nutrition, the rules and etiquette of golf, learn about the opportunities present in golf course and turf grass management.
- Podcast with Dr. Kyle Merten on the Golf Challenge – link
- Texas 4-H Golf Challenge Logo - JPG
- Texas 4-H Golf Challenge Manual – PDF
- Winning with Nutrition Curriculum – link
- Turf Grass and Golf Course Management Resource (TAMU Turfgrass) – link
- Rules and Etiquette of Golf (USGA) – link
- Purchase rules and etiquette visit the following site – link
- Powerpoint: Cultivation & Layering – PPT
- PowerPoint: Fertilization – PPT
- PowerPoint: Mowing, Irrigation & Overseeding – PPT
- PowerPoint: Weeds, Insects & Diseases – PPT
- North – July 18th – Hereford - PDF | JPG
- South – July 15th – Pleasanton - PDF | JPG
- East – July 8th – Canton – PDF | JPG
- West – July 22nd – Brownwood - PDF | JPG
- State – July 30th – Leander - PDF | JPG
- 2011: College Station: South Region Golf Challenge Results – PDF
- 2011: Lubbock: North Region Golf Challenge Results – PDF
Dr. Kyle Merten
Extension 4-H and Youth Development Specialist
4180 Highway 6
College Station, TX 77845