Duds To Dazzle
Youth in the 4-H Clothing & Textile Project learn about fibers and fabrics, wardrobe selection, clothing construction, comparison shopping, fashion interpretation, understanding of style and design, proper grooming, poise in front of others, and personal presentation skills. The Texas 4-H Duds to Dazzle Clothing & Textiles Competition goes one step beyond, utilizing the knowledge and skills learned in the project, while increasing awareness of the impact of the clothing & textile industry on the environment, specifically the waste stream. In the competition, teams of 4-H members will re-design and repurpose discarded garments.
Visit Resource Page – link
The 4-H Fashion Show is designed to recognize 4-H members who have completed a Clothing and Textiles project. The following objectives are taught in the Clothing and Textiles project: knowledge of fibers and fabrics, wardrobe selection, clothing construction, comparison shopping, fashion interpretation, understanding of style,good grooming, poise in front of others and personal presentation skills.
Natural Fiber Contest
The 4-H Fashion Show is designed to recognize 4-H members who have completed a Clothing and Textilesproject. The following objectives are taught in the Clothing and Textiles project: knowledge of fibers and fabrics,wardrobe selection, clothing construction, comparison shopping, fashion interpretation, understanding of style, good grooming, poise in front of others and personal presentation skills. 4-H members participating in the Natural Fiber Contest are encouraged to study, promote and use cotton, wool, and mohair—natural fibers produced in Texas.
The 4-H Fashion Storyboard is an industry-inspired method of displaying original designs. The best storyboards create vivid visual images that are interesting and appealing to viewers. The storyboard “tells the story” of the designer’s idea. The storyboard includes original illustrations and flats, as well as additional materials (such as photos from the Internet or magazines, paper, fabric swatches, patterns, etc.) that have influenced the unique design.
The purpose of the Fashion Storyboard contest is to give 4-H members an opportunity to create a storyboard of their original design. It also provides the members an opportunity to gain knowledge of the career responsibilities of a fashion designer and illustrator, enhance creativity and originality, and develop visual communication skills. 4-H members must submit a storyboard on the day of the contest that provides a solution to the following design brief.
2015-2016 Design Brief
Social media has become a stage to not only set fashion trends, but to launch designers. Social media outlets such as, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and YouTube are easily accessible, and conversational in nature. Fashion trends are created though social media, the trend is not “imposed” on the audience, but instead, it is made available for the audience, and the audience will have the freedom to adopt it or grasp onto part of it.
Create your own design and create a storyboard that will help it go viral
- Design Inspiration – PowerPoint
- Elements & Principles of Design – PowerPoint
- Presentation Boards (prepared by Texas Women’s University) – PowerPoint
- Introduction to Storyboard – Updated 8/17/11 – PowerPoint
- Fashion Storyboard – Clothing and Textiles – Published 8/17/11 – PowerPoint
- YEA 4-H! Clothing & Textiles Lessons – PDF Part 1 | PDF Part 2 | PDF Part 3Fabric & Fashion Design Curriculum (outdated guide – for reference only) –
PDF Part 1 | PDF Part 2
- Unraveling the Mystery of Design Elements and Principles (Iowa State University Extension)– PDF
- Color (Iowa State University Extension) – PDF
- Design: Exploring the Elements & Principles (Iowa State University Extension) – PDF
- Helpful Hints for Creating a Fashion Storyboard – Updated 8/17/11 – PDF
Contest Web Resources
Quilt Challenge Contest and Community Service Project
The Quilt Challenge will provide youth with the opportunity to utilize their sewing skills gained in the 4-H Clothing and Textiles project to complete a quilt that will be judged and then donated. <More>
- Quilt Challenge Report Form – link
Clothing and Textiles Advisory Board
The Texas 4-H Clothing and Textiles Advisory Board offers 4-H members, volunteer leaders, and county Extension agents an opportunity to help determine and expand the 4-H clothing program by recommending and implementing special activities and new project ideas. The Texas 4-H Clothing and Textiles Advisory Board provides the leadership and coordination of the Texas 4-H Roundup Clothing contests.
- Texas 4-H Clothing & Textiles Project page – link
- 4-H FCS 101 – link
- 4-H FCS Project Toolbox – link
- Family and Consumer Sciences – Clothing and Textiles – link
- 2013 Texas 4-H Clothing and Textiles Packet – link