Texas 4-H Youth Development program of the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, is proud to announce its newest program, the ATV Safety Program. This educational safety program is funded by grants through the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, the ATV Safety Institute (ASI) and Yamaha Motor Corporation.
Each year, hundreds of children are injured (and some deaths occur) while riding ATVs. Therefore, this free program is designed to teach safe and responsible ATV operation to 4-H children and their family members
The ATV Safety program has three formats that can be utilized separately or together, all are free and available with scheduling through the ATV Safety Program Coordinator.
The ATV safety awareness (SA) program can be utilized at your Progressive Agriculture Safety Days or in your school district. Two formats are available, an indoor, 30 minute PowerPoint presentation with video and the typical outdoor Progressive Agriculture format of rotating groups coming through a “station” every 15-20 minutes. We prefer to utilize the indoor format as we feel it is much more effective at getting the ATV safety message across.
Safety Awareness Training (SAT) is a “train the Trainers” program which can be utilized by youth leaders, volunteers, program assistants or county agents. This program requires a classroom type setting and take about 3 hours. All curricula to present SA’s is included and a minimum of 6 participants is required.
Lastly, but most popular with the kids is the “hand-on” ATV RiderCourse (RC). This is a 4 hour, ride the ATV program on a closed course. Everything is provided including the ATVs, helmets, gloves and goggles. We bring everything and can train adults as well. The program is free to all 4-H kids and their family members. A minimum of 6 participants is required and a maximum of 32 participants can be trained in one day, given space requirements..
Below you will find many helpful documents, please read the synopsis first. The program coordinator’s contact information is listed at the bottom.
- Program updates for 2013 – PDF
- Synopsis on ATV Safety – PDF
- RiderCourse Letter of Support – PDF
- RiderCourse Information Letter – PDF
- RiderCourse Host County Information – PDF
- RiderCourse Multi-county Information – PDF
- RiderCourse Consent Form – PDF
- RiderCourse Sign Up List – PDF
- Changes to 4-H ATV Program – PDF
- March 9 RC and SAT – Carthage, TX Panola County
For TPWD Hunters Safety Education Volunteers in partnership with Tx Dept of State Health Services
- March 23 SA presentations Lake Waco, Twin Bridges Park Waco, TX
- April 20 SA and RC South Llano State Park, Junction, TX Kimble County
In partnership with the Kimble County Chamber of Commerce
- May 16 SA Austin County Safety Days Bellevue, TX
- July 5 and July 26 RCs Indian Head Ranch, Del Rio, TX
Carol L. Smith
4-H ATV Safety Coordinator
1440 CR 270
Mico, TX 78056